One of the oldest used fibers is linen, a textile comprised of fibers from the flax plant. Linen is powerfully strong and durable, and has subtle natural texture that can soak in several times its weight in moisture leaving behind no damp feeling. In fact, no moisture is absorbed into the skin, as it evaporates so you stay comfortable all year long. It’s naturally anti-bacterial, non-allergenic and strong.
It’s an extremely sustainable crop, as it is resistant to pests and tough. It doesn’t need a lot of chemicals or fertilizers to grow. And, it needs very little irrigation to help it continue its growth. Flax grown in Europe is extracted through a process known as dew-retting.
Why Should You Consider Linen Bedding For Your Home
There are a number of reasons you need to consider linen for your bedding needs:
- They are anti-allergic – resistant to bacteria, have moisture absorbing and evaporating abilities and ventilates, making it ideal for children and people who suffer with all kinds of skin diseases.
- It can produce a light massaging effect since it has microscopic breaks in the fabric.
- It’s a breathable fabrics with heat conductivity and high air permeability properties. It will keep you cool during summer and warm in the winter.
- It can absorb nearly 20 percent of its weight in moisture before you feel the wetness. Therefore, when you’re sleeping or touching it, it’s always cool and fresh.
- Sheets made from linen have a distinct softness to them. Each time you wash it, it becomes even softer.
- It doesn’t contain static, helping to preserve the skin because of the natural pH balance.
- It’s two times as tough as cotton bedding, lasting for years. That’s a major investment.
- It’s eco-friendly – flax used to create linen can be used in other ways – the seeds are used to manufacture linseed oil (seen in floor coverings) Linen doesn’t need irrigation, and is a renewable source. It’s also biodegradable.
- There is a status symbol associated with the owning and use of pure linen. People see it as a reflection of a lavish lifestyle.
There are so many reasons to choose linen bedding. First off, it looks good, and during the spring and summer months is extremely cool. Plus, you don’t have to worry with wrinkling since it’s designed to look that way.